Finding a good condo that fits your budget can be difficult in Singapore. Many people have a bad experience due to wrong ways or mistakes they commit while looking for condos. Here is the list of 4 mistakes you should avoid while house hunting.
Selecting a Bad Real-Estate Agent
We often hear many complaints about real estate agents. When we say bad agent, it does not mean fraud or evil. It means they might not do the best work for you for which you hired them.
There might be many reasons for their bad service. They might be working with too many clients at a time and might not have a chance to find the best Condominium in Singapore for you. Here are some don’ts that will help you select a good real estate agent:
- You do not necessarily need to go with the real-estate that your company allocates you. Ask your colleagues feedback and see if the agent has served well in the past.
- Don’t work with the agent if you are not happy with the service. There is no exclusivity or time-bound contract between you and the real estate agent. The agent’s job is to show you condos which are available.
Going alone can be a big mistake as some excellent properties are not always advertised as some landlords use an agent. You can lose on such properties if you decide not to hire an estate agent. With that said, you need to select a real estate agent that:
- Has sound knowledge of Singapore and the real estate industry
- Aware of rentals of condos and can negotiate with landlord on your behalf
- Check the condos to see if it meets your requirements
Not Analysing travelling time
You probably want to buy or rent a condo in Singapore which is not far away from your office. Don’t just look at the different locations near your office; you also need to get an idea about the commuting time to different places. For instance, consider how much time it will take you to reach the office from the location or how long your children will take to reach to their school. There are three things you need to consider here. The first one is, of course, the distance, but equally important are traffic and connectivity, especially if you rely on public transport.
Relying on the advice of Friends and Relatives Only
It is a good idea to consider your friends and colleagues opinion about locations when looking for a condo in the city. However, there might be several new condo projects coming up in different parts of the city that your close friends and colleagues might not know about. In fact, the majority of the people living in Singapore know only a fraction about Singapore real estate development. Thus, you should do some research on the Internet as well as asking the real estate agents about different condos in the location you are interested in.